Friday 23 December 2022

A more compact G3XBM 472Khz transverter.

I first build Roger G3XBM 472Khz transverter in 2018 and since then I've built a total of 3 of them. One went to a station in Scotland another one went to Poland and I kept one for myself to use. 

The one I kept for myself is in a nice box and printed front label, I have had plenty of WSPR spot and quite a few FT8 & JT9 QSO's with 12watts to the antenna. The layout on the copper clad board was quite big and I have always wanted to condense it down to save abit of space on the bench. 

The size compraison with the IC-705
 

After studying Roger's version with the pictures of his website and taking my time, getting a few parts I needed. Tonight I have finally finished the build and carried out a bench test, at first it didn't work but this was down to a faulty SBL-1 but lucky I have quite a few spare!

Latest build!
With 12volt supply and fed with 500mW input from the FT-817 (knew the 2nd 817 would come in handy for bench test) I'm getting 11.5watts out at 474.2KHz. Finally I just need to put it in the box and give it a good "On-air" test.

The difference in size!
 

If the latest version works well, it will replace the original one I made and I may sell it to someone who has always wanted to get on the band. Lets see how the tests go first!

No comments:

Post a Comment