Tuesday 4 April 2023

Yaesu FT817ND/FT-818ND alternative battery option

The internal battery on the Yaesu FT-817/8 radios were always abit lacking. The original FNB-72 isn't available but there are third party versions inproduction for around £20 . 

Even though these are good value I was wondering is it worth it when I came across a 2 x Talentcell YB1203000 battery packs with charger and 2.1mm DC leads for £20 which also included shipping from a UK seller.

These batteries are Lithium ion and gives between 9 -12.6V at 3amps and some version have a USB port for charging mobiles phones but this model just has a 2.1mm jack. When you quickly look at the specs of each.


I decided to try the Talenent cells as I got two batteries plus these can be used with other QRP radios or electronics. My FT-817ND has powerpole connectors so a quick lead made up and I hopefully have a two batteries that might perform abit better for portable use. 

TalentCell

The TalentCell has LED status light, On/OFF switch and 2.1mm connector



No comments:

Post a Comment