Thursday 24 November 2022

My go to radio for QRP CW

Being licensed since 2002 I never showed much interest in morse code as it wasn't a requirement anymore (think the test was dropped in 2003). Over the years I did try and learn the code but gave up many times. In Mid 2021 after moving QTH I decided it was going to be my goal to achieve 12wpm.

Well just over 12 month later with help from a local ham and 30mins I put in every evening aswel I feel comfortable at 15wpm, I can copy 18wpm but might miss the odd character, to feel comfortable at this speed is now my new goal.

My go to radio for CW is the Elecraft K1, I bought this 2nd hand and it covers 40M/30M/20M & 15M max power is 7watts but I leave it at 5watts. I just find it a joy to use, it's a very basic radio but the overal sound and basic functions makes it great in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong it's not perfect but if my one went faulty and I couldn't repair it I would certainly try and find another one. Its a shame Elecraft didn't carry on this kit even with a upgraded model if parts were obsolete as I would of really liked to build a K1 from fresh. 

Is Morse code a dated mode of communications now? I don't think so and anyone, yes anyone can learn it if they are willing to put the time and effort in. I never thought I would get it but you've got to want it too and seems to me alot more people are taking the challenge to learn it and get on air.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment