Wednesday 23 November 2022

8M ISM remote site tests

Well today didn't go to plan as intended, as usual in the North east of England it started to rain so that delay the test plus a few other issues I've come across but I suppose this is the nature of the beast.

The first issue was with the hardware on the transmitter side, even though I thought the 40MHz transmitter has been beaconing away since Saturday this wasn't the case. Just before I left for today I thought I'll check to make sure I could hear the signal with the equipment in the car, so I sat and waiting for over 30mins and I didn't receive one decode. I went back to the equipment and even though WSJT-X was saying it was in transmit, it wasn't keying the radio so I rebooted the Raspberry Pi and pressed "TX enable" and "TX Next" on WSJT and there was the signal. So there must be a glitch with the WSJT-X on raspberry pi software if left on for a period of time.

The other issues I've have come across are:

  • Noise increase from the laptop when connected together with the IC-705
  • The Vertical whip isn't actually tuned to 40.680MHz it's slightly too short (but SWR 2:1) Just need to adjust the length of the whip with the grub screw.
  • Couldn't use the loop antenna due to the rain and the mounting issues 
  • Battery on my laptop isn't great only lasted a few hours and enough to get one decode at the last site
  • WSPR TX duty cycle rate is too long between transmissions 

All test were just carried out using the vertical whip on a magmount in the centre of the car's roof. 

I've also used this website Heywhatthat layer onto the maps. From my understanding it show what you can actually see If I was standing at the antenna height (also being outside, not in the loft) which I feel is right as if I look out the front bedroom window I can see the next village through the houses. 

When the beacon was not transmitting, I observed the signal meter on the IC-705 showing a strenght of between 4-5 at all locations but this could also been down to the noise received from the laptop so may have been lower?

1st site visit 

The first site was toward the North of my QTH and I was able to place myself within reason 1.5km away. It's a open area with fields either side of the narrow road and just off a main road. I was able to capture 3 reports from this location.

Image of area to give you an idea of the location

Red area, Is Heywhatsthat layer onto the map



The 3 different reports

2nd site visit 

The second site was toward the West of my QTH and I was able to place myself within reason 1.5km away. Not exactly on the mark and out by 10metres. This location was more built up/ residential area with open spots near by and also a main road. 

Alot more obstruct in the way. I was able to capture 3 reports from this location.

Image of area to give you an idea of the location

 

Red area, Is Heywhatsthat layer onto the map

 
The 3 different reports

 

3nd site visit 

The third site was toward the South of my QTH and I was able to place myself within reason 1.5km away. This location was built up/industrial area with open spots near by and also a two main roads. 

Alot more obstruct in the way. I was able to capture 3 reports from this location.

Image of area to give you an idea of the location

 

Red area, Is Heywhatsthat layer onto the map

The 3 different reports


4th site visit 

The fourth site was toward the East of my QTH and I was able to place myself within reason 1.5km away. This location was residential area with fields to the west of where I was parked.

Due to the laptop battery dying on me and I forgot to change the callsign on the I was able to capture 1 report from this location which was frustrating but better to catch something then nothing!

 

Image of area to give you an idea of the location

Red area, Is Heywhatsthat layer onto the map

The one report

At all locations I could hear the WSPR tones and even at the lower levels so would be suitable for CW QSO's. I intent on carrying out the test again but alittle more prepared with a new laptop battery or PSU with inverter (subject to noise). I also want to capture reading with the loop antenna next time too.

On every report except two I noticed the very very slight change of frequency I was receiving the beacon on. Is this the stability of the FT817 or IC705 or both?  

I feel I could extend my range tests quite abit further now and may try between 5-20Kms. I know of a location close to my work in Sunderland that is approx 20kms away which is fairly high up (147m ASL) and has good views towards my QTH.

For now I will remove the attenuator from the QTH setup and return to just monitoring the band until I'm ready to carry out further remote site tests. Not sure what mode is best to monitor WSPR or FT8?


 

5 comments:

  1. Judging by how well you are receiving (well) the WSPR signal indicates a LOT further will be possible. I am watching the blog with interest! 73s and good luck Jason. 73s Roger G3XBM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger hopefully iron out the issues.
      73
      Jason

      Delete
  2. I agree with Roger. I think next tests should be in a range of 5km or even 10km. In the mean time I wrote an e-mail to the dutch telecom authorities to see if I can legally transmit with 10mW on 40,680 MHz. It's better to have an official confirmation. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bas, Might give the 20km location a go first and then back track closer if I receive nothing there.

      Hopefully you will get the confirmation you need, our authorities don't seem to have technical people there anymore (as per a conversation I had with one person on the phone in the middle of the year) he just pointed me to documents online.

      73
      Jason

      Delete
  3. As Jason points out, the authorities in the UK seem to have few people left that understand anything technical. Certainly in the UK, I am of the view that low ERP in the ISM bands can be legal. In the Netherlands I hope the same. If true, we could have lots of 10mW ERP beacons on 8m in the Es season. The REAL answer would be a tiny amateur 8m allocation, and stop this rubbish once and for all. Certainly here in the UK the position of OFCOM and the RSGB seems utterly stupid.

    ReplyDelete