Wednesday 21 December 2022

FT-817 just arrived before Christmas

Today I received the FT-817 I bought recently, It's not actually in bad condition and considering the radio was not fully tested it has full output on all the bands and everything seems to function fine. It's a shame it didn't have the box and only came with microphone, battery, dry cell case and manual but most importantly it had the TCXO-9 and YF-122S. The seller also included 8 rechargable batteries.



I have now placed the TCXO-9 in my FT-817ND as this will get the most use where it matters.

Before

After

I have noticed two differeances between the FT-817ND's . My 1st FT-817ND is serial number starts 6L and is a 2006 version and the 817 that has turned up is a 6J and believe this to be 2016.

Well 2006 has a red connector on the key socket and was changed to black on the later versons. I have spotted two differences which are silly but I wonder why Yaesu did it?

1. LED charge indicator - On the older Yaesu's when you charged the battery the "Transmit/Busy LED would light up when charging and go out when complete. I have also found this to be handy identifer instead of looking at the screen.

Top 817 is the older with LED on

 

2. No S-meter reading on FM broadcast band. When doing a check over the 817 that turned up, I tuned across the broadcast band to check signal levels and noticed the S meter didn't move. I then compared it to my older 817 and the S meter works fine. I know its not faulty as I had the same thing with an FT-817ND before.

Both radio on Radio 2 with telescopic whips antennas

 



1 comment:

  1. Interesting to read there are differences. I have to check if mine has s-meter readout on the FM broadcast band. I know the LED switches off when charging cycle is done. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete