Thursday 29 December 2022

Goodbye to another two Yaesu products!

Many have seen details on forums etc about Yaesu discontinuing the FTM-400 & FT-818ND due to aviability of parts. I first read about this on QRPer blog and was pretty sad to hear the news. 

As I don't really do digital I don't know alot about the FTM-400 but My first radio when I was licensed was the FT-817, LDG Z-11 to a halfsize G5RV I went for this mainly because the foundation licence course I did the club used an 817 to demonstrate bands, using a radio to tuning antenna etc. At the time I was amazed that a small radio could do so much! 

I couldn't tell you how many 817's I've owned over the years, got to be atleast 8 in total including the two I have recently aquired.

When the FT-818ND was released I was temepted to buy one new but shortly after a guy had a 2nd hand one forsale so bought that. I noticed that there were a few differences between a 817 and 818. If I remember correctly the lowest power setting on the FT-818 wasn't 500mW but it was 1watt so this was no good for driving my 472KHz transverter and on 70cms even though my antenna was a perfect match there was always a higher SWR reading on the display of the 818. In the end I returned it to the owner.

People say the 817/818 is old tech but for the price no radio compares too it! There will be hams rushing out to buy a FT-818ND now the news has been released especially as it's not being replaced at the moment.  

I also think this will make 817/818 prices remain high for so time to come. I'm just glad I pick up another 817ND.

   


2 comments:

  1. Three months ago I purchased a new FT-818. Wouldn't you know Yaesu then decided to drop it from their line-up. Have they mentioned how long they will honor guarantees and provide after-guarante service?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dick,
      In a video from Yaesu "USA" the only one I have seen so far is that they will continue to support, warrenty and parts for the time being but how long this will be they didn't say.

      I hope, like many you should get plently of years trouble free service from the FT-818 so don't be disheartened, as you will start to see people comment that they wish they bought FT-818 but it was too late!

      Delete