Sunday 8 January 2023

Moonraker HLP-2 2M halo antenna

I used to have a Wimo big wheel for 2M but at the new QTH I didn't have room for it and wasn't using 2M that much so sold it on. On a return visit to see family from London I popped into Moonraker in Woburn Sands as I've never visited there showroom before. I picked up some bits and decided to buy a 2M halo antenna (HLP-2) as it was only £25 and I didn't fancy buying another bigwheel with the current costs plus import duty.

I remember seeing a Youtube video by "TECHMINDS" and his assembly and review of one. He contructed the antenna and directly connected the coax to the tabs but was getting an SWR of 2.1 with 50watts. Yes it was close to a roof of an out building but I personally thought that was abit high and would like to see a better match than that!.

My friend used to own the 4M version and he had a beehive capacitor connected to the coax and the feed point so with my 2M version I decided to do the same thing. 

Feed point with beehive

Another view with braid connected

 

To help with any possible RF coming back down the coax I added 6 ferrite sleeve that I picked up at a rally years ago that where ideal for putting over RG-58 coax.

Up close to the feed point


Yes I know RG-58 coax but its a short run and I'm not really after doing DXing on the band. The SWR is a lot better as you can see below and that inside the house. 

When the weather is better I'll get it installed on the side of the house and hopefully it will work ok for a horizontal antenna.


Great match for the SSB section of 2M


No comments:

Post a Comment