Saturday 17 December 2022

Yaesu TCXO-9

Since owning a FT-817ND again I have bought a few accessories for it. Peg-legs, 500Hz CW filter, crank knob and Andersonpole adapter. The one thing I wanted was the TCXO-9, I've hunted everywhere for one but every dealer in the UK and Europe are out of stock and a email to Yaesu UK where unable to help as Yaesu don't make it another more.

People have suggested the cheap chinese TCXO-9 on ebay. There are so many mixed reviews, with people saying they are great with others saying they increase the NF. I was on the fence and even though you could pick one up from £8 upwards, more than anything I believed I would be wasting my money!

I regularly check ebay for the TCXO and it's one of my "saved searches" but I've not seen anything for ages. A recent evening ebay trawl I saw a Yaesu FT-817ND with accessories, so I clicked on the item and looked at the pictures and description to notice it had YF-122S (SSB filter) and the TCXO-9 with the original part too. The 817 didn't have the box, antennas, charger but the listing was for 9 days so gave me plenty of time to think and watch the price.

How far, is too far for just "one" option extra?

I didn't want the radio itself and wasn't really after the SSB filter as I prefer to have the CW filter fitted instead. The amount of questions being asked to the seller was alot as they posted replies to the description so I knew it wasn't going to be cheap and it had a lot of interest.

Well did I bid?

Er yes!, The one part I wanted I couldn't let it go by and I paid the price, which in the grand scheme when you look at it wasn't to bad. £440

The way I'm looking at it is I'm happy to pay the original price of what the TCXO-9 was priced at (£70) then basically if I get £370 for radio and filter then I 'm covered.

Though I'm thinking do I sell the SSB filter for £140 as per the original price (as you can't buy the filter anymore and plenty of people want it) then sell the radio with the standard parts it comes with mic, battery, dry cell case and manual (somewhere) I have a spare car charger I can include for £230 then maybe a new person in the hobby gets a cheap radio???

Was this to far just for a TCXO? 

I haven't got money to burn but recently I sold my IC-7300 to somebody as I wasn't using it as I'm happy with FT-817 and IC-705 so the funds were there. 

Was I mad/foolish?


No comments:

Post a Comment