Wednesday 25 January 2023

My least used rig!

As most of my operating is with CW or SSB on HF I'm finding one rig that hasn't seen much use at all recently. I don't know why but I feel the magic/appeal of the radio has disappeared.

When the pre release information came out about the ICOM IC-705 I knew it was a radio that fitted my requirements and was happy to sell other radio's I had to fund it. Once I got it this was my favorite rig not so long ago but as I got a excellent condition IC-703 Plus and 4 band Elecraft K1 second hand I just find myself not really using the IC-705.

The lack of a built in ATU and low activity on VHF/UHF is probably two reasons why it doesn't get used and once I plug the interface cable into the PC the noise floor increases slighty even though I purchased a decent USB cable and wrapped it around a ferrite core.

Is this a faze at the moment as I'm leaning towards selling it but wonder if I'll regret it!

For me the IC-703 does everything I need as I fitted the 500Hz CW filter, I even bought a another IC-703 for mobile use due to it having the ATU as the Comet HF mobile antenna is narrow on some bands. My K1 mainly gets used on the 40M/20M QRP frequencies and the Yaesu FT-817ND get used on 40MHz, VHF/UHF or HF WSPR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment