Monday 23 January 2023

Closure of some UK AM Broadcaster stations

In the UK, I have heard automated messages from two radio stations stating that "the radio station your tuned to is no longer available on AM frequency".

Absolute radio 1215KHz and Greatest Hits Radio 1170Khz (Teesside) are closing down there AM transmitter service. Both stations are owned by Bauer Media Audio UK and they do seem to own quite a few radio stations!

Absolute Radio 1215KHz is quite a well known frequency and had good coverage across the UK and also some parts of Europe aswell. I have listened to this station a fair bit and was a good signal source to test any receiver I bought and wanted a referance point.

I have read on some forums of the "delight" to hear of the closure of the 1215KHz transmitter network as it hindered DXers from DXing on the AM broadcast band. In a way I agree with the Dxers but also think it's a shame that these services are disappearing from the airwaves as the alternative service of DAB doesn't serve the purpose for motorist who listen to the radio. I tend to travel to remote places in the North East of England and after quite a few miles DAB just drops out and then displays "no signal" and that when I switch to AM. With both automated messages it also advised the listeners to use a app that can be downloaded onto your phone but I personally don't want to use my "included data" to stream music plus I don't use my phone while driving.

Bauer Media Audio UK state that only 2% listen to there AM where 35% of their cost goes to fund it. I know I use it as a back up when DAB is no good but what about the people who are in the remote areas of the UK and the long distance drivers who use services like this?

I wonder if the BBC will follow suit with Radio 4 as I know they have shut down their local BBC AM stations.

One thing I do hope of this closures, is that Ofcom opening the AM broadcast band for low power community stations like the Dutch system or a licence free system as the AM broadcast band during the day is starting to become very scarce with UK output and low power stations could provide a vital service for remote areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment