Thursday 19 January 2023

The RSGB Morse Certificate of Competency

Went I first got licence as Foundation licensee in 2002 there was talk that the Morse test was going to be dropped. When I went to sit my Intermediate licence, on the day the instructor said if I pass I won't need to sit the 5wpm morse test and will have FULL HF access with 50watts. I passed so never got the opportunity to do a morse test and as there was no need I concentrated on studing for my FULL licence in 2004.

Well nearly 20 years later I got a keen interest in wanting to learn the code and in August 2021 with help from a local ham and 30mins practicing every night I finally learnt and comfortable sending and receiving at 12-15WPM depending on the person sending the code. I have been able to copy people having QSO's at 18wpm but after a period of time I start losing the conversation if they are ragchewing.

I have always wanted to have been able to sit a test and recently saw that the RSGB was offering a Morse Certificate of Competency and you have the options to be tested at 5/10/12/15/20/25/30WPM. So I completed the form and my proficiency test was arranged by Eric M0KZB and on Tuesday evening Pete G0PMN carried out the assessment. 

Yesterday I received my certificate of proficiency for 12WPM.


 It was well organised and worth doing so recommend it to anyone who hasn't sat a test to apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment